Today’s postie visit (well Mr FedEx) brought the Windows On Devices Intel Galileo kit a day earlier than expected! On the box I find the scary label advising me it’s “Not for resale” (fair enough) and “This intel(R) Galileo board is supplied with a pre-production version of Microsoft Windows(C) and has been modified by Microsoft in collaboration with intel, to run Windows.” which makes me curious of what changes they’ve made to it.
The first thing I noticed when taking the Intel Galileo out of the box was how much space the PCI-E Mini Card connector on the rear of the board needed (it sticks out around 9mm), on the top of the board most of the thickness (11mm) is caused by the Network connector and DC barrel jack.
The kit also included a few other goodies.
The rest of the package included a Power supply (3A 5V), USB network adapter and cable, 16GB Class 10 Micro SD (with adapter) and a green LED.
Now to get it connected and start playing^Wdeveloping :).
I’m not sure why but a couple of days since placing my last order Farnell have decided they don’t like me anymore :(.
After speaking to them I found they was unable to do anything with the Incident Number given on screen – he could take the number and pass it on but that was all. My personal details wasn’t asked for and the only suggestion other than clearing my cache was to keep hitting refresh until it worked.
During the call the guy did ask if there was anything I could do, after resisting temptation of asking for the admin passwords to the servers so I could take a look I decided I’d go with the light-hearted “I could go for lunch” reply.
I have a feeling my day will be more rocket salad than rocker switches :(.
When the postie was sporting a weird look this morning I knew it could be due to DirtyPCBs and I was right:).
I currently have a couple of Iteaduino Plus boards as BGP routers, the Odroid-U3 connected to 3 of my high power USB hubs and the Parallella at home which all run off an enclosed 100W 5V PSU. To add/remove a device from the power was awkward as I’m just using spade terminals joined on the USB hub screw terminals to distribute the power between the devices.
The boards will be used (along with a 3D printed base) to allow me to connect/remove individual items from the power without disrupting the other equipment (especially the BGP routers). They’re very basic boards but the quality looks good including the silk screen alignment which is one thing that normally bugs me with cheap PCBs. All they need now is the screw terminals soldering on with the indicator LED/resistor and having time to shut everything down to move it over.
My Odroid-U3 is normally directly connected to one of my high power USB hubs which is used by some Block Erupters. On Friday all of the Block Erupter lights went green, I lost contact to the Odroid-U3 via the network and the power lights on the hub showed a lack of power on the upstream data port and the only things displayed on the Odroid-U3 when running lsusb via the serial console was the two USB root hub lines.
Version 1.1 of the Isolated USB Hub PCB arrived this morning from Iteadstudio and the first thing I noticed was the silkscreen looks to be aligned correctly! It would be nice if they all came correctly aligned but for the price I shouldn’t complain too much ;-).
Today’s deliveries included the S-998P Electric Desoldering Gun which came well packed for the journey from China and after a quick check everything looked OK the plug was chopped off and replaced with a standard UK plug (checking the colour code on the mains cable was sane).